As living beings we have certain characteristics in common with other living things. These separate us from non-living things. Considering the attributes that make us Alive can help us to understand the nature of our existence, and as we pull that apart, we will uncover qualities that lend themselves towards a new way of living. This new way of living is more free than any other because it comes naturally to us. Living without limits can be as intuitive to us as breathing itself.
Like all living things, we as humans need to grow if we are to continue to be alive. Growth is the permanent, irreversible increase in size and mass of the living organism. It occurs in every living thing. Most living plants continue to increase in size throughout their lifespan, while animals usually grow to maturity and then maintain a constant size. All of the living processes of a single celled organism take place within that one cell, so growth for this form of life simply means the cell gets bigger.
Our Purpose Promotes Growth
In our Infinite Selves growth occurs best when we are in pursuit of our purpose. To live a life of purpose and conviction is to enjoy a sense of significant, intentional expansion in our day to day lives. With purpose comes the cause that sets our heart on fire and enlarges our capacity. We rise every morning with our eyes firmly set on our grand plan, having a sense of urgency and priority about what we do with our lives. This feeling comes from deep within us, because it originates in the core of our person. It is the drive of our Infinite Self. Knowing that our days will contribute to something of consequence brings us to a place of honour every day. We walk through every season with our shoulders back and our head held high. Who we are is realised in our purpose. This objective not only defines our reason for living, but it defines our very essence. It is in our purpose that we grow into the fullness of our Infinite Self.
Without this sense of purpose we cannot be fully, vibrantly alive. We find it all too easy to crumple like an old aluminium can. As soon as the pressure comes, we have no strength to withstand its destructive effects. When we haven’t decided and committed to our reason for living, we have very little to bring when the going gets tough. It is in these times that we see ourselves compromising on things that we thought were important. We sell out like a wilting flower. We cannot grow because we make no stand, and our living slowly stops.
Without Purpose Life Is Sluggish And Listless
In these times, we face serious problems of being ineffective and unproductive. We can be working our fingers to the bone, but in the absence of a purposeful aim for our efforts, we risk burning out from the sheer exhaustion that comes from endless striving. A lack of purpose can look and feel like a lack of power in our lives. It certainly feels like there is no point to doing anything much at all. It is so incredibly frustrating to know that we have a yearning for something worth fighting for. Without this conviction, we become disillusioned and disengaged from living itself.
When this happens, we end up missing out on a fulfilling, custom-made intention that pulls us through listless disillusionment into driving conviction. Our purpose gives us the strong foundation we need to face challenges with tenacity and setbacks with resolve that we will make it through. We have to. Our purpose depends on it. Our lives depend on it.
Purpose Draws Us Through The Crisis
It might seem strange or even morbid to you, but it was my own personal sense of purpose that pulled me through the days, weeks and months after my husband Alec died. It was on the day after I lost him unexpectedly that I sat at my dining table, reading over the reflective notes I had been keeping in my phone for the past few years. I knew instantly that these notes would become my book, and that I would direct everything I had towards building a professional speaking and coaching career. I wanted nothing more than to invest my natural strengths and all of my resources towards the fulfilment of this plan. This specific plan was new, and was conceived that day from the midst of my life-changing circumstances. But the plan came from the purpose that had been with me for as long as I can remember. My mission in life has always been to help people empower themselves to fulfil their greatest potential. In more recent times I have crafted this purpose statement:
The purpose of my life is to enjoy the ongoing rewards of living and loving without limits, to confidently thrive in growth through change, to feel the freedom that comes from personal empowerment, and to help others do the same.
This purpose continues to fuel my efforts at work, home and play every single day.
More often than not, our truest self takes some time to come into its own. Engaging with the journey of possessing the growth available to us in any and every situation. This is vital if we are going to grow to realise our greater Purpose. To clarify your purpose, ask yourself these questions:
- What are my unique strengths and skills?
- What do I want?
- What are my lofty goals and crazy ambitions?
- What do I want to be known for?
- What do I want my legacy to be?
- What makes me happy?
- What are my deal breakers of happiness, the things i simply can’t be happy without?
- What leaves a glistening residue of fulfillment that lights me up ages after the moment has passed?
- What am I really good at?
- What can I do that leaves a lasting impact on the world?
When we hear the whisper of our purpose in our hearts, it is like music to our ears. To come through the journey of connecting deeply with ourselves, then sharing this rich, deep person with the world, we come to realise that we have a strength that comes from somewhere infinite within us. This gives rise to a sense of power and opens opportunities for rewards we can create and gather to ourselves. This in turn gives us a sense of our unique purpose. This purpose is the thing that only we can offer the world. We comprehend the defining Purpose of our Infinite Self by expanding our awareness of our original, one-of-a-kind inner person. Our Infinite Self thrives when we realise that we exist to pursue a cause that burns bright. When we watch ourselves acting in the power of our Infinite Self in the world, we begin to realise that we each have a unique reason for living that suits us down to the ground.
Knowing these three things about growth will help us press on in pursuit of our purpose.
- GROWTH IS CONTINUOUS: On the day we stop growing, we stop living. This growth can be in baby steps, or in leaps and bounds, but without it, we cannot continue. Every day offers us opportunity to grow. Some days our growth is in our character, while others the growth is in our strength, our relationships, our finances, our spirit, our connection with ourselves. There is never a day that comes that is without these chances to grow. Every day we can enlarge the capacity of our Infinite Self.
- GROWTH IS DRIVEN BY PURPOSE: Just like plants grow towards the sun, and send their roots deep down into the soil in search of water, your growth will be drawn towards your own unique purpose. This purpose is unlike any other person’s, because you are your own spectacular person. To maximise opportunities for growth everyday is to come to know your superpower. Find the work that energises you and invest in it with everything you have.
- GROWTH ALWAYS WANTS MORE: Growth is hungry. It is driving, and it is relentless. It never stops. It is insatiable. Your Infinite Self has an urgent need for growth. This growth doesn’t need to look like gigantic strides, but it simply can’t look like standing still. Pursuing your purpose, even in tiny incremental steps will refresh your Infinite Self like nothing else can. It will be the invigoration you have needed all along.
Living a life of growth in our purpose requires a life-changing commitment. Pledge today to live a life driven by purpose:
I will live a life of Conviction, dedicated to the ongoing task of unearthing my Infinite Self. I will refuse to accept anything in life which allows jaded disillusionment to dim my unique shine. I will give ourselves to the passions of my heart, directing them towards my purpose and guarding them with my integrity. Compromise is out of the question for me. I will rise with determination to the call of my Infinite Self.