The small business scene in Australia is filled with people working their industry magic behind closed doors. 61% of our small business owners are registered sole traders, dedicated to building the business of their dreams no matter how daunting or challenging the task might feel. Nearly one million small business owners run their business from home, pursuing their passion on a shoestring. These entrepreneurial soldiers draw resourcefulness and resilience from deep in their core to expand their business reach far and wide. The vision of these heroes is so gripping that the idea of not living to follow this passion is simply inconceivable. They’ve already seen the impact their business can have in their mind’s eye, and they know they will press through to world-changing impact no matter what.
Australia is a funny place. We celebrate wins together and respect the bloke who has a strong work ethic, but we have a nasty tendency to cut down those who dare to shine in dedicated excellence and outstanding achievement. We will cheer the underdog on till our throats become hoarse, but a niggly little cultural button is pressed for us when someone gets a little “too big for their boots”. Sometimes, the bloke charging to the top of the stack can only continue the mission amidst the disgruntled objections of his peers. “He’s forgotten where he came from … He’s up himself … We’re not good enough for him any more.”
Perhaps this is why so many small business owners tuck themselves and their mission away out of sight. You will see them at networking events shaking hands and sipping on champagne, and they’ll happily tell you how they’ve travelled so for. It’s easy to share small wins with your Australian peers, and even easier to describe the obstacles and hardships beyond your control. These conversations are a dime a dozen and fit perfectly within our egalitarian sense of mateship and support. It is another thing entirely to stand in the fullness of your passion, taking ownership of the dream that has captured your heart, and boldly declaring that you have ambitions for your business that set you apart.
I am searching for this tribe, and they are coming out from their faceless place in the crowd. You will know you are part of this tribe if:
• You have goals for your business that are so big they even scare you sometimes.
• You have a local business that you imagine rolling out nationally and even globally
• You hesitate to share your business dreams because you don’t want to stand out and you fear being misunderstood
• You push forward in pursuit even though you are not quite sure of the exact steps you need to take
• You are certain you can back yourself despite not having conquered the mountains ahead
• You are convinced that you will prevail over any adversity, trial or hardship
• You have realised that the person who will complete the mission is the one you are becoming
Sole Trader, you are an inspiration. Keep learning. Keep stretching. Keep reaching. Plan for growth. Build the structures. Expand the systems. Your success is my greatest passion.